Month: September 2015

If you’re planning a
vacation to Europe, you probably know this already: the electricity
over there works differently from the United States, running on 220V
instead of 110V. Of course, the outlets are also shaped differently
depending on the country you’re visiting, so you’ll certainly need a
travel adapter before your journey. But will you also need a voltage converter? As it turns out, that depends entirely on your devices.You will not need a voltage converter if:

  • your device mentions the capacity to run on 220V. Some older devices
    even have button on the back that allow you to switch from 110V to
    220V; if that’s the case, you’re safe using only a travel adapter.
  • your device is “dual voltage.” simply put, that means it can run on
    either 110V or 220V, and is perfectly safe without a voltage converter.
    By sure to check for each device in order to avoid damage, but most
    newer devices – from laptops to smartphones and cameras – do not need
    voltage converters.


You will need a voltage converter if:

  • your device is “single voltage.” That means it only runs on 110V,
    and would be damage if the voltage goes any higher. If your device
    specifically mentions 110V on the back without any mention of 220V, it’s
    probably single voltage and you need a voltage converter.
  • your device uses an internal motor or heating element. Think hair
    dryer or iron; if it needs to do more than just take in electricity, you
    should probably get a voltage converter.


When in doubt, it’s always safe to go with a voltage converter. Some
of your devices may not need it, but the risk of damaging them if they
unexpectedly do need it is too high and can be avoided simply by contacting us.